The Art of Being Interesting Online

Ever had a friend who only talked about themselves all the time? Yeah – you probably weren’t friends for very long, or you became artfully good at cheerfully bobbing your head, and saying “Okay”. Well, that, or you cracked and went:

So, if you wouldn’t put up with a friend talking about themselves all the time, you likely wouldn’t put up with a brand that did the same.

Social media leaders are those that curate and share great content.

While creating good content for your brand is important, it’s equally important to curate it. According to Mashable:

“A curator ingests, analyzes and contextualizes web content and information of a particular nature onto a platform or into a format we can understand.”

Have you heard of George Takei of Star Trek fame? Good old Sulu has one of the most engaged followings on Facebook. His page is filled with funny posts submitted by fans, or items he (or his team) have found. Interspersed with these posts, are those relating to him, and his brand – most recently his book “Oh Myyy!” and Broadway play “Allegiance” (which he successfully utilized his following to help fund).

george takei, facebook page

“Oh my!” indeed.

My recommendation is to follow a 60/40 rule – 60% of posts can be related to your brand, with the remaining 40% of posts being from external sources. Follow key influencers in your industry or community, and share posts that you think your followers might be interested in. Be a leader in finding information that is relevant to your followers, and then providing your own valuable insight on it.

Finding key influencers:

  • On Twitter, one good tool to use to locate key influencers in your community is “WeFollow“. As well, track community-related hashtags, such as the city you operate in or terms consumers might search for to find your products/services. Read more on How to Find Great Content to Share on Twitter.
  • Blogs – Set up Google Alerts for keywords related to you region or industry, or set-up a Scoop.it account.
  • Watch large new sites (Huffington Post, Wall Street Journal etc.) and news aggregators.
  • Who do you trust for information in your area/industry? A newspaper? Blogger? Competitor? Follow them online!

Being an interesting brand online requires the same ingredients as being an interesting person: surround yourself with people who have good stories and be active in seeking out new information. Otherwise, you might find that your followers have tuned-out, and tuned-off.

 What brands do you follow that share great information?